We will be adding all the latest additions to this section. Please check back for the latest updates.
Chemistry is one of the most popular subjects at Camp Hill School for Girls with a large number of girls studying the subject at A level.
We have over 60 students in each year of the Sixth Form studying Chemistry and, over the last few years these students have enjoyed considerable success at A level. Traditionally, many go on to study medicine, veterinary science and other chemistry-related degrees at University while a number gain entrance to Oxbridge.
Chemistry is taught as a separate subjectfrom year 9 in our well equipped specialist laboratories which have been refurbished relatively recently. The Department endeavours to make full use of IT as an aid to teaching and the labs are equipped with computer projectors and interactive white boards.
There are four Chemistry teachers on the staff, including the Subject Leader, the KS3 Science Co-ordinator and the Assistant Head Teacher who are ably supported by a dedicated team of full time technical staff.
In Key Stage 4, girls represent the school in the West Midlands Chemistry Quiz which we enter each year.
Sixth form students have the opportunity to attend free evening lectures at the University of Birmingham to extend their knowledge and interest in the subject.
For GCSE we use the AQA GCSE Chemistry Specification and pupils start working towards this during Year 9. The GCSE syllabus includes a basic grounding in important chemical principles including How Science Works and students are encouraged to understand and apply these concepts rather than to just learn material by rote. Practical work plays an important role in Chemistry and students will be encouraged to work safely and independently in the laboratories and to gain experience in handling a wide range of apparatus. All students will carry out coursework during the course, which will contribute 25% towards their final GCSE grade. The other 75% is based on 3 units C1, C2 and C3, the examinations for these are taken at the end of the course.
During their study of Chemistry, girls will develop transferable skills in the following areas:
- Reading , listening and comprehending
- Researching, reviewing and revising
- Basic mathematical skills
- Problem solving
- Organisation and planning, hypothesising, evaluating
- Safe manipulation of apparatus and chemicals
- Team work
At A level we follow the AQA A/AS-level specification. This is divided up into six units based around physical, inorganic and organic chemistry. Two of these units (one in each Year) assess the pupils in their investigative and practical skills, both of which are externally marked.
Click images below to see larger versions
Levels taught at