Gathering Storm Clouds Post 1943
By the mid to late 1920s it became evident that the school site, enclosed in a corner between a busy main road and railway, was unsuitable and likely to become even more so with the great increase in road traffic.
The building was actually condemned by HM Inspectors but, due to the gathering storm clouds of another war in Europe, nothing was done until 1945 when Governors bought the Priory Estate as the future home of a new Camp Hill School.
1943-1963 Miss Muriel Mandeville
The school’s new headmistress, Miss Muriel Mandeville, had already joined the school on the retirement of the long-serving and very appropriately named Miss Keen after 30 years. Under the new leadership of Miss Mandeville (1943-1962), the school was brought back together although great problems had to be overcome, with war damaged buildings, planning for the new school, and a rapid increase in school numbers.
The years between 1943 and the move to a new school in 1958 saw increasing overcrowding and the appropriation of more space for school use.
Numbers grew from just 340 girls in 1943 to 550 in 1957 but the waiting ended in 1958 when the move to the present school site in Kings Heath, Birmingham, took place.